In February each year Chiang Mai in Thailand is host to their spectacular floral festival, which includes a large processing of floral floats interspersed with great marching bands.
By bringing to light a vibrant display of ancient and modern floral art the festival also exemplifies the traditions of the ancient Lanna Kingdom.
Typically, the first day of the festival involves an agricultural fair as well as the exhibition of floral arrangements and landscaping trends. Subsequent days involve an elaborate display of splendid flower floats, a fair that showcases local works of art, music shows as well as the display of beautiful ornamental plants.
On the Saturday of the festival, there is a large parade that typically takes place from Nawarat bridge to Thapae road, Kotchasarn Road, Changlor Road and then to Arak Road (Nong Buak Haad Public Park). There will be large floats adorned with flowers as well as marching bands, school groups and dancers also taking part. The roads will close leading up to and during the parade, but there are generally police directing traffic away from the festival.
There are also competitions for the most beautiful and creative display as well as the best float. One of the most popular parts of the festival is choosing the Chiang Mai Flower Festival Queen.
The weather is typically warm during the day and delightfully cool in the evenings during this time of the year.
Join Macleay Valley Travel on their exclusive 2 week tour departing Australia on February 3. The fantastic price of $3,595 per person twin share includes:
- Airfares with Thai International from Sydney and Brisbane.
- Four days in Chiang Mai for the incredible flower festival.
- A four day coach tour of Northern Thailand.
- Two days touring the River Kwai area, staying overnight on the floating jungle rafts hotel on the river.
- A two night stay in the lovely resort town of Hua Hin.
- Good accommodation, mainly 3 to 4½ star.
- Full breakfast daily, plus many other meals.
- Visits to the Queen Mother’s Extensive Gardens, the Royal Park Rajapruek, the colourful Bangkok Flower Market and a horticultural rose garden.
- Prepaid gratuities to the guide, driver and bus boy.
- Services of an experienced Thai tour guide and an Australia tour escort.
Contact Macleay Valley Travel toll free on 1800 810 809 or visit their website at www.macleayvalleytravel.com to see the full itinerary.